News Flash

Columbus News

Posted on: November 14, 2023

Columbus fire chief praises work and response at Superior Industries incident

CFDSuperior

Machinery caught fire late Monday night at Superior Industries, but Columbus Fire Department Chief Ryan Gray said the quick action of company employees and first responders prevented it from getting out of hand.

At about 9:45 p.m. Monday, Nov. 13, 2023, CFD was alerted to Superior Industries, 3330 E. 23rd St. in Columbus, for a report of a forklift and metal-cutting machine on fire inside of the building.

When fire crews arrived, according to Gray, they found smoke showing from all of the exterior doors on the west side of the building, and all occupants had been evacuated. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire and contain it to the forklift and the cutting machine. 

CFDSuperior

(ABOUT THE PHOTO: Fire officials on scene Monday night at Superior Industries in Columbus.)

Employees on site did try to extinguish the fire prior to fire officials' arrival, Gray said, adding he believes that effort and calling for help early prevented the fire from being much worse.

“Today’s fires are more dangerous than ever before. Mainly due to what most products are made of, the smoke from these fires can quickly overwhelm someone with just one breath,” Gray said. “If you are ever in a situation with a fire, please call for help early. You can always call us back if you extinguish the fire, but please consider the risks of being burned or inhaling severely toxic gases and smoke. The faster you call, the sooner we can be there to help.”  

Gray also had high praise for the response from the Columbus Fire and Columbus Rural Fire departments.


Superior2

(ABOUT THE PHOTO: Fire officials on scene Monday night at Superior Industries in Columbus.)

“As with any call we respond to, it’s the men and women of the fire department who put it all on the line every day to ensure the protection of lives and property within our community,” he said. “They give it everything they have every time they go out the door.”

Crews assessed three patients onsite for smoke inhalation, however, they all declined transport to the hospital. There were no injuries to emergency personnel. The fire was deemed to be accidental in nature and is believed to have started within the engine compartment of the recently operated forklift.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Columbus News

Rick

Q&A with City Engineer Rick Bogus!

Posted on: February 23, 2024
Engineer (1)

It's National Engineers' Week! Get to know our talented team...

Posted on: February 20, 2024 | Last Modified on: November 10, 2022
Water main break

Water main break in town in process of being repaired

Posted on: February 14, 2024 | Last Modified on: November 10, 2022
Fire4

Space heater deemed source of accidental overnight structure fire

Posted on: January 31, 2024 | Last Modified on: November 10, 2022
FIXED

Water main break repaired Saturday night

Posted on: January 13, 2024
AQUATIC

Aquatic Center closed today

Posted on: January 9, 2024
CentennialPark

Upgrades coming to Centennial Park

Posted on: December 29, 2023
NYE (1)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, COLUMBUS!

Posted on: January 1, 2024
Council2024

LOOKING BACK ON 2023, PREPARING FOR 2024

Posted on: December 22, 2023
HYDRANT FLUSHING

Fall hydrant flushing coming up next week

Posted on: September 18, 2023
Bandshell

Frankfort Square band shell spray painted

Posted on: September 12, 2023
City of Power and Progress.png

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING

Posted on: August 25, 2023